Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Great Book


Recently I've acquired a great book on Tonalism called A History of American Tonalism . This book is written in a beautiful poetic manner that inspires me to paint everytime I read it.

There is a copy of this in my Studio/Gallery here in New Zealand (I've one at home too ;-). Many people here in Whangarei feel my work is in an English style like Constable. Actually he's more like a stylistic great great grandfather. I like to show people the book so they can see what American Tonalism is all about.

This blog will owe much to this book as the author David Adams Cleveland has said so many things that resonate with myself and my art on a deep level. I will be referencing this book frequently.

The picture in today's post is by Birge Harrison. He was an amazing late era Tonalist and also wrote a great book on painting that is freely available on the internet called Landscape Painting. I'll write more about Birge and his book a later time.

No comments:

Post a Comment